Hollywood favourite Le Vian celebrates 20 years of record-busting Chocolate Diamonds
May 2019 – On Sunday 2 June at this year’s JCK Las Vegas, North America’s largest annual jewellery show (30 May – 4 June 2019), celebrity jeweller Le Vian is celebrating the 20th anniversary of its Chocolate Diamonds® brand with a retrospective catwalk show which will chart the 20 year journey of Chocolate Diamonds® while also forecasting 7 key global jewellery trends for 2020.
– Le Vian is a favourite with celebrities. Rihanna wears Chocolate Diamond® earrings in her newest ad campaign for Fenty Beauty and Madonna wears a Le Vian ring in her Crave music video which she first posted about on Instagram on 11 May.
– Le Vian Chocolate Diamonds® is a trademarked brand of natural fancy colour brown diamonds which denote a superior quality of brown diamonds, over 80% of which come from Australia’s Argyle mine which is due to close in 2020. Only Le Vian has the right to sell Chocolate Diamonds® and to use the name Chocolate Diamonds®.
– Le Vian is the only company that has succeeded in legally acquiring the right to name a diamond. Registering the trademark for Chocolate Diamonds® took 2 years in the US and a further 2 years to extend the rights to Europe, China, India and dozens of other countries.
– The Le Vian Chocolate Diamonds® brand enjoys recognition among over 40% of adult Americans, according to recent consumer research.
– Le Vian is the only jewellery brand worldwide with the right to emit a chocolate scent from a jewellery store. The Chocolate Diamonds® scent took 18 months to produce using one of the world’s most experienced perfumeries and is one of only 13 scents to be registered as a trademark on the planet and the only one on earth to ever achieve trademark registration in jewellery.
– Initially, the Chocolate Diamonds® trademark became so successful that many other jewellers started calling their diamonds by the same name. The prosecution was historical using a IP playbook to prove to the US Patents and Trademark Office that people associate Chocolate Diamonds® with Le Vian through surveys and a massive cleanup of infringers. Today Le Vian uses an international IP law firm and two in house attorneys to continuously police the trademark around the world.
– In the past year the world produced less than 1,000 stones which are half carat Chocolate Diamonds® meaning 0.45 to 0.55 carats. Meanwhile it produced 70 million white diamonds of that size range. In the past year Chocolate Diamonds® of 1.5 carats or more, to have come out of the ground, number no more than 100.
– Australia’s Argyle mine is the source of over 80% of Chocolate Diamonds®
– There are 5 criteria for a diamond to be called a Chocolate Diamond®. They are:
– no inclusions
– has to be SI clarity
– has to be natural ie: no radiation treatments
– has to be fancy colour in the C4 to C6 category of brown coloured diamonds
– has to be responsibly sourced
Le Vian catwalk, Las Vegas 2018 – Le Vian Chocolate Diamonds® Hibiscus pendant, 2019
About Le Vian
• Le Vian is a New York headquartered, family owned jewellery company. With a history rooted in the royalty of 18th century Persia, today Le Vian is a firm favourite with Hollywood royalty including Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna and Lady Gaga. Le Vian does not pay or gift celebrities.
• When in 1746, the Persian ruler Nadir Shah conquered India, he chose the LeVian family to guard the royal jewels he had plundered, including the legendary Koh-I-Noor diamond, currently found in the British Crown Jewels and under lock and key in the Tower of London.
• Le Vian owns over 1 million copyrighted designs, 200 trademarks and 5 patents including the patent for jewellery with gradient gemstone patterns for several of its Chocolate Diamonds® Ombré designs.
• Le Vian produces 40,000 pieces of jewellery annually. 1000 pieces form the collections which are produced in larger numbers, the rest are one-off pieces sold at 4000 pop up shows round the world annually.
• Inspired by the royal jewels of ancient Persia, the Le Vian family have long been ahead of the curve when it comes to coloured gemstones. In the 1980s Le Vian struck a deal to acquire half the world’s finest tanzanite. They later sought out sapphires from Madagascar in the 1990s and in the last 20 years have invested heavily in natural fancy colour brown diamonds which they branded as Chocolate Diamonds®.
• In February 2019, Le Vian celebrated its 10th anniversary in the UK by staging the first ever jewellery catwalk at the Tower of London and an exhibition of the family’s private jewellery collection Le Vian Through The Centuries with some pieces dating back to 1501.
• Le Vian is one of the most active members of the Responsible Jewellery Council.
Le Vian CEO Eddie LeVian