UK silversmiths to showcase work in May
April 15, 2011 – “Contemporary silversmithing is enjoying a renaissance in the UK,” says Gordon Hamme, the managing director of British Silver Week.
“In the last three hundred years there have never been more talented working silversmiths in the UK.
“The teaching by the art colleges of traditional silversmithing skills combined with contemporary design ideas has produced a remarkable group of modern silversmiths.”
This year the five-day ‘Festival of Silver’, taking place from 9-13 May, at the fine art gallery Pangolin London highlights the depth and breadth of contemporary silversmithing.
“The first day is great fun with all 100 British Silver Week silversmiths showing their work and having a get-together,” Hamme said.
This is followed by four more days of themed exhibitions featuring many of Britain’s finest silversmiths and enamellers.
Selling events start from 6 June at:
• Birmingham Assay Office – 29th June (one day only)
• De Vroomen (Mayfair)
• Garrard (Mayfair)
• Hamilton & Inches (Edinburgh)
• Hamilton & Inches (London)
• John Higgins Contemporary Silver (Sussex)
• Payne & Son (Goldsmiths) Ltd (Tunbridge Wells)
• The Scottish Gallery (Edinburgh) 2 July – 31 July
• Sheffield Assay Office
• Urban Armour Ltd (Burnham Market, Norfolk)
•William & Son (Mayfair)