September Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair to showcase craftsmanship
August 2018 – Thai organizers are vigorously promoting the September 7-11 Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair to increase buyer numbers and boost exports of Thai-manufactured gems and jewelry to leading overseas markets, Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat, Director-General of the Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP), tells Jewellery Outlook Editor David Brough. The September edition of the fair will showcase highly skilled Thai craftsmanship.
Q. What special features will the September Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair present this year? Will there be any promotions of rubies or other gemstones?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: Special Activities at the 62nd Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair
• The Niche Showcase exhibition featuring 5 product groups:
– “Heritage & Craftsmanship” Jewelry with an emphasis on exquisite craftsmanship
– “Spiritual Power” Jewelry of belief and opulence
– “Metro Men” Jewelry for men
– “The Moment” Jewelry for special occasions
– “Beyond Jewelry” lifestyle items decorated with metals and precious stones.
• The New Faces a showcase of Thai SMEs manufacturers and designers with intricate craftsmanship from across the country who have never joined the BGJF (prior to the 60th edition) targeting over 120 exhibitors.
Q. How is the September fair adapting to the digital economy? Are there plans to boost its social media and digital content?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: As the organizer of the fair, DITP recognizes the power of social media in boosting brand awareness of Thai gems and jewelry as well as the Bangkok Gems and Jewelry Fair (BGJF)
During the past years, BGJF has become more active on social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram and Youtube). Moreover, BGJF has been promoted through digital advertising including sending E-Newsletter to target buyers and visitors in many countries.
And to facilitate and ensure faster access for visitors, DITP has created a QR code that can be scanned for online pre-registration. Yet, there is much more to be done.
More emphasis has been put on reaching out to target audiences using different social media advertising platforms while creating content that will better appeal to our targets. We are also improving our PR strategies and messages to be more creative and to better communicate to our customers.
Q. What synergies are being discussed between the Bangkok and Hong Kong fairs?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: The Bangkok and Hong Kong fairs agree to actively support each other in exchanging and sharing information on trade promotion activities such as: trade fairs and exhibitions, economic missions, seminars, conferences, forums, etc.
In this respect, the Bangkok and Hong Kong fairs are responsible for sharing and disseminating information about such activities and agree to arrange business meetings/ programs for the purpose of helping the members of the business community to interact and communicate.
Q. What are the projections for the value of Thai gem and jewelry exports in 2018, compared with 2017? What are the main export markets, and how important are gems and jewelry to the Thai economy?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: Gems and jewelry (including unwrought gold) are the third largest export for the country (after automotives and computers). In 2017, the industry brought in almost 13 billion USD (12,841.98 million USD or approximately THB 400,000 million at US$ = 32 baht), a decrease of 9.87% and accounted for 5.43 of the country’s total export value.
• Exports of gems and jewelry (excluded unwrought gold) in 2017 was worth 7,126.39 million USD, an increase of 2.25% compared to 2016 and was the first time for the industry to see growth in the past three years.
• In 2018 (January – April), the industry brought in 4,183 million USD or approximately THB 134,000 million at US$ = 32 baht), a decrease of 6.17% compared to 2017 and accounted for 5.12 of the country’s total export value.
• Exports of gems and jewelry (excluded unwrought gold) in 2018 (January – April), was worth 2,541.63 million USD, an increase of 6.18% compared to 2017 and was the first time for the industry to see growth in the past three years.
• In 2017, Thailand was ranked the 14th highest gems and jewelry exporting country in the world (after Israel, Japan, South Africa, Belgium, Australia, Singapore, China, Canada, UK, India, USA, Hong Kong and Switzerland).
• The gems and jewelry industry plays a key role in the development of the economy and trade, tourism, employment, value-adding, the creative economy, and generates growth for numerous businesses that manufactured related goods and provided services.
• The industry employs approximately 1.2 million people with 95% of them being SMEs.
• The industry is considered as Indigenous Globally Competitive, meaning the industry encompasses those from upstream to downstream, from the sourcing (sourcing of raw gems), midstream (manufacturing, cutting, polishing) to downstream (product development and export).
Q. What steps are the organizers taking to boost numbers of retailers visiting the Bangkok show from around the world? Are any geographical areas being prioritized?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: Promotion of the fair through 58 DITP overseas offices in 43 countries worldwide
• Promotional activities in USA at JCK 2018 (1 – 4 June 2018) and Hong Kong at the Hong Kong Jewellery And Gem Fair (21-24 June 2018 and 14 – 18 September 2018)
• Sending E-Newsletters to target buyers and visitors in countries such as UK, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, USA, Canada, Turkey, UAE, India, China, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, South Africa, Australia
• Promotion through digital advertising, publications and barter with web banners in over 15 countries
• Invitation of media from 16 countries worldwide: USA, Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Turkey, UK, Russia, Hong Kong, Italy, South Korea, India, Netherlands, Germany, France, Canada and China.
• Domestic promotion such as billboards on the expressway, LED signage and signage in key spots from Suvarnabhumi international Airport, the MRT (Metro train), the Jewelry Trade Center, and radio spots, promotion through television channels and other publications.
Q. Are Thai gem and jewelry pavilions/promotions being planned to take place at other international trade shows this year?
Chantira Jimreivat Vivatrat: Promotional activities in USA at JCK 2018 (1 – 4 June 2018) and Hong Kong at the Hong Kong Jewellery And Gem Fair (21-24 June 2018 and 14 – 18 September 2018).